Petit Rocher, NB, Village, pop 1966 (2001c), 2078 (1996c), 1988 (1991c), area 4.49 km2, inc 1966, is located on Chaleur Bay near BATHURST. The name of the village is French and refers to a small rock off a headland that helps form a cove for the village. The first settlement in the area was by displaced ACADIANS in 1755. In 1797 Charles Doucet, Jean Boudreau and Pierre Laplante left Nepisiguit (now Bathurst) to establish a new settlement. They supported themselves by farming, logging and fishing. The inshore fishery and fish processing dominated the local economy up until the 1960s. In recent years a zinc mine and paper mill in Bathurst, and a smelter in Belledune, have provided other sources of employment for residents of Petit Rocher. The Mines and Minerals Interpretation Centre of New Brunswick is located in Petit Rocher.

Sponsored
links



Tickets ads